These alterations of 1885 resulted in the fine appearance of the church much as we see it today. However, bomb damage in World War Two blew out all the windows. The church was closed for a time while temporary repairs were made. The full repair and redecoration was completed in 1949. When the windows were reglazed, fragments of the original coloured glass were incorporated in the new windows. Shrapnel damage to the east side of the church is still visible. About that time a section of the back of the church was used to create the Browning Chapel to commemorate the marriage in the church of Robert Browning and Elizabeth Barrett in 1846. (Their marriage certificate is preserved in the church archives). Link to Browning love letters. An altar with communion rail was positioned under the memorial window. Download Browning Room History.
The baptismal font was at the opposite end of this chapel and the painting of the Holy Family was above it. Subsequently the chapel, picture and font were moved to their present position at the side of the church now known as the Holy Family Chapel. The Browning room, together with a small kitchen area became used for meetings and social activities. Several items of Browning furniture were kept in this room but have unfortunately been stolen over the years. Also there is an ancient Bread Board with the inscription - "Thos Varley late of this parish gave fifty pounds, the interest to be given in twelve penny loaves to the poor every sabbath day for ever 1692". The fine crystal chandeliers were given to the church in 1968 and came from the Marylebone Council Chamber when the Borough of Marylebone was merged with the City of Westminster.
Parish Church (1920s) Church from The Regent's Park 1958
Phyllis Ethel Ginger, RWS (1907 - 2005)
The Second World War brought enormous change to St Marylebone. The SOE (Special Operations Executive) was based in Baker Street, the Telemark Raids were planned in Chiltern Court above Baker Street Underground Station and many Regency and Victorian properties were destryed by enemy bombing raids. The parish church was very badly damaged by shrapnel and the roof so extensively damaged that it had to be taken off. A barrage balloon slipped its moorings on Primrose Hill and came to rest by wrapping its mooring chains around the church tower and cuppola! All of the Regency painted glass was blown out and the 18th century parish church (by then a Chapel of Ease) was so badly shaken that it had to be demolished. The parish church was closed for a number of years until restoration works were completed in 1949.
In the 1950s the parish was united with the adjoining parish of Holy Trinity to become the parish of St Marylebone with Holy Tinity, St Marylebone. For many years the parish church of Holy Trinity served as the headquarters of SPCK Books. It is now a commercial events' venue known as No 1 Marylebone.
The Rector, The Revd Canon Frank Coventry, the Assistant Cuarte, the Revd Peter Delaney, Deaconess Mary Wright, the Parochial Church Council and a visiting bishop in the mid-1960s.
Many interesting memorial tablets, some from the previous churches, are placed around the church. Download list of memorials (pdf)