Architectural Details

Construction of the present church was first considered in 1770. A site was given in Paddington Street and plans were prepared by Sir W Chambers, but the scheme was abandoned and the land purchased for a burial ground. In 1810-11 the present site was secured, and it was intended that this building should be a Chapel of Ease.

LSL_Marylebone_Madonna_Window

Plans were prepared by Mr Thomas Hardwick, who was a pupil of Sir W Chambers, and the foundation stone was laid on 5 July 1813. Later it was decided to enlarge the building and call it the Parish Church; the present tower was erected, the front widened, and the present Corinthian columns built. A vaulted crypt extended under the whole area of the church, with extensive catacombs under the west side. 

These were bricked up in 1853, and in the 1980s with due authority the coffins were removed from the crypt for reinterment at Brookwood Cemetery in Surrey and the crypt transformed in the present-day Healing and Counselling Centre.

Christopher R Wallis was Lawrence Stanley Lee’s assistant in making the Marylebone Madonna Window

CR_Wallis

Thomas Hardwick Jnr. (1752-1827)
For more information see The Victorian Web

 

The Bells of St Marylebone 

Funeral Hatchment

Download a Topographical and Historical Account of the Parish of St-Mary-le-Bone (pdf)